The Caker x Kenwood Recipe: Passionfruit & Lemon Cake
For the cake:
- 150g butter, softened
- 150g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 organic eggs
- 150g plain flour
- 50g ground almonds
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup passionfruit pulp (about 4 passionfruit)
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
For in-between the layers
- 4 tbsp good quality store bought lemon curd
Lemon passionfruit syrup:
- 20ml lemon juice
- 4 tbsp icing sugar
- pulp of 2 passionfruit
- Fresh flowers
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC fan bake. Grease and line 2 x 22cm cake tins.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until pale, light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla and then the eggs, one at a time, beating until combined between each addition.
- Fold through the flour, ground almonds and baking powder until just combined. Next mix in the yogurt, passionfruit and lemon zest and juice. Stop your electric mixer once all the ingredients are combined, do not over mix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tins and spread out to the edges.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until golden in colour, springy to the touch and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Allow the cakes to cool for around 10 minutes before turning onto a cooling rack.
- Meanwhile, make the passionfruit syrup - combine the lemon juice, icing sugar and passionfruit and mix until the icing sugar has dissolved.
- Once the cakes are fully cooled, spread some lemon curd onto one cake layer and then place the other layer gently on top. Finally, spoon the syrup over the top of the cake. Decorate with lemon zest fresh flowers.
- Serve at room temperature.
Tip: Store in a cool, dry place in an airtight container for up to 3 days.