The Caker x Kenwood Recipe: Strawberry and Mango Trifle
Kenwood recently shared my recipe for Strawberry and Mango Trifle - the perfect summer Christmas dessert and so easy to make (especially if you have a k-Mis stand mixer for whipping egg whites for your sponge and cream for the top!).
Have a go at making it yourself, happy baking x
Recipe for Kenwood by Jordan Rondel
- 3 cups double cream
- seeds from 1 vanilla pod
- 50ml limoncello
For in-between the layers:
- 500g strawberries, washed, hulled and quartered
- 2 mangos, peeled and cut into 2cm cubes
- handful strawberry quarters
- seeds from half a pomegranate
- handful toasted coconut flakes
- fresh rose petals (optional)
150g butter, softened
150g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 organic eggs
150g plain flour
50g ground almonds
2 tsp baking powder
zest of one small lemon
½ cup whole milk
For the sponge:
- Preheat the oven to 175ºC fan bake. Line a 22cm tin (ideally square, but round will do) with baking paper.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until pale, light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla and then the eggs, one at a time.
- In 2 additions, add in the flour, ground almonds, and baking powder. Alternate with the milk and finally mix through the lemon zest. Stop your electric mixer once all the ingredients are combined, be careful not to over mix.
- Pour the batter onto the lined tin and spread out to the sides.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until golden in colour, springy to the touch and a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool in the tray for 10 minutes before flipping out onto a cooling rack. Once fully cool, cut the cake into 2cm cubes. Set aside while you prepare the cream.
For the cream:
- Using the kMix balloon whisk, whip the cream until ribbon consistency is reached. Be careful not to over whip. Fold through the vanilla bean seeds and limoncello.
- Layer some sponge cubes into the bottom of your serving bowl. Next, spoon over a generous amount of the cream followed by an assortment of strawberries and mango cubes.
- Arrange another layer of cake cubes followed by a final layer of cream.
- To decorate, scatter over a handful of strawberry quarters and pomegranate seeds, along with a sprinkling of toasted coconut flakes and rose petals.
Tip: Serve immediately. To store any left overs, cover well with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 2 days.